Wednesday, January 21, 2015

DMC: "What Does a Seed Know?" by Loree Griffin Burns




WHAT DOES A SEED KNOW?

What does a seed know?
     I do not fear the ice and snow.
     I trust the urge to rest and stow.
     In the dead of winter, life only slows.

What does a seed know?
     The day will come again to sow.
     With earth and sun and rain I’ll grow
     and everything I need, I know.

© 2015 Loree Griffin Burns. All rights reserved.



Joyce Sidman has challenged us to write a "Deeper Wisdom" poem this month. What's a Deeper Wisdom poem, you ask? Click HERE for details.

Send your wise words to TodaysLittleDitty (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the contact form in the sidebar to the right. All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on January 30, 2015, and one lucky participant will receive an autographed copy of Joyce's gorgeous new collection of children's poetry:





6 comments:

  1. "...and everything I need, I know." <-- Sums it up brilliantly. Aussie songwriter Paul Kelly writes, "From little things, big things grow." Thank you for this big wisdom from such a little seed, Loree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the second stanza, especially the lines you highlighted, Michelle--"everything I need, I know."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that the seed replied in first person--and yes, that wonderful final line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kind comments have made this nervous not-quite poet very happy. Thank you Michelle, Liz, and Buffy!

    Loree Burns
    www.loreeburns.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found this, how wonderful to use the seed's voice. Love " I trust the urge to rest and stow."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loree, I love this! Esp. last line.

    ReplyDelete