Thursday, February 16, 2017

DMC: "Competition" by Keri Collins Lewis





COMPETITION

I sense you behind me,
silent, scheming
sneaking a glance over my shoulder.

Test grades.
Text messages.
Timed sprints.

So I study longer.
Bury my crush.
Push harder.

You won’t catch me,
because every time you try,
I will transcend myself.


© 2017 Keri Collins Lewis. All rights reserved.


Jeannine Atkins has challenged us to write a poem that uses personified feeling. For more details, click HERE.

Post your poem on our February 2017 padlet.  All contributions will be included in a wrap-up celebration on Friday, February 24th, and one lucky participant will win a personalized copy of her latest novel-in-verse from Atheneum Books/Simon & Schuster:






6 comments:

  1. That last stanza is so inspiring, Keri! Thank you for putting the silent schemer in his place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring. Love the determination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the alliteration in the first stanza, silent, scheming, sneaking. Don't let competitiveness win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Transcendence is the real winner! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your perseverance in outrunning competition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, nice! Competition is fierce. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete